With so many apartments for rent in Los Angeles, finding a place can be overwhelming. The more information you have, the better prepared you will be to navigate the process. Here are three potential pitfalls to watch out for during your apartment search.
1. Wasting Valuable Time
Apartment hunting can be time-consuming. First, you have to see what’s available. While there are numerous sites online that advertise apartments for rent in Los Angeles, you may have to visit quite a few to get an idea of what’s for rent in your area. Many of these sites also require you to register before doing a comprehensive search. Although you may want to apply to several apartments, completing all of the applications can be a significant time commitment.
2. Sharing Your Sensitive Information and Throwing Money Away
A rental application provides a landlord with important information about prospective tenants, such as:
- Current address
- Telephone numbers
- Driver’s license
- Employment and income
- Emergency contacts
- Personal references
In addition to providing this data, when applying for apartments for rent in Los Angeles you’ll also need to include an application fee, and it is usually nonrefundable. That means if your application is denied or you decide to move somewhere else, you don’t get the money back. Applying for multiple apartments can get very expensive.
3. Damaging Your Credit Score
Before you start packing your moving boxes, you have to pass a credit check to give the landlord a snapshot of your financial situation. A credit check helps landlords decide who is and isn’t a good risk. After all, unpaid debts and bankruptcies can make it difficult for a landlord to hand over the keys.
Unfortunately, every time a landlord runs a hard inquiry on your account, it lowers your credit score by a few points. One application doesn’t make a big impact. Over time, however, repeated credit inquiries during your search for apartments in Los Angeles can have a significant effect on your credit score- and recovering those points can take months. To protect your credit score, it’s important to limit the number of hard inquiries on your account, including those from rental applications.
Fortunately, you don’t have to make the sacrifices above during your apartment search. RentSpree addresses all of the potential pitfalls associated with finding apartments in Los Angeles so you can get the most for your time and money.
- Universal application: Why fill out multiple applications all containing the same information? In just minutes you’ll have your application completed, and can apply to as many apartments on the site that you like. You can apply to and be accepted to multiple properties without ever leaving the site.
- One single fee: Rental application fee after rental application fee means big bucks out of your pocket. Instead of throwing away your money on expensive application fees, you will pay up to 50% less than the cost of a normal application. You will still be able to apply to all of your favorite apartments.
- Pre-apply: Preserve your credit score. Because it’s just one application and only a soft inquiry, you’ll completely avoid any damage to your credit report. By limiting the hits on your credit report, you’ll keep your credit score high.
When you begin your search for apartments in Los Angeles, you should know what to expect. RentSpree makes it easy.